Sunday, April 6, 2014

Chili Crab for Mama Lim's Birthday

 
I don't usually dine at a fancy restaurant... But when I do, it's for the ones that matter.

So we decided to celebrate mom's birthday ahead of both her lunar and "ang moh" birth date. Decided to head over to Longbeach King at Kallang. It's just behind that
huge McDonald's so you can't miss it.

 
One thing you can be sure is that this place serves really fresh seafood. How do I know that? Well, they pretty much have their fish tanks out for everyone to see. You can catch the kitchen staff walking over to get the ingredients. I guess this makes for an interesting conversation piece? We were pointing at the huge-ass Alaskan king crab for a moment. That, and also you could come up with a witty response when someone asks "why so long?" and tell them that the kitchen's "gone fishing" *budum tss*

 
I'm not sure if I should be happy or not but mom's starting to get the hang of using a smartphone. Not exactly an expert yet, but definitely making some progress. Here you see her using dad's Redmi to check if her LINE message got through (it didn't, and I had to fix it)

 
First thing served, as with all Chinese restaurants were salted peanuts. Enough for us to munch on while we deliberated on what to get for dinner. My plate had a special aeriated red wine sauce sprinkled over it. No, this isn't on the menu. My dad had a little slip of the hand while swirling the red wine :\

 
First dish that came up was a pot of Drunken Prawns. Pretty standard feature. They're exactly what you'd expect of a drunken prawn dish. A smooth, glass-like surface that returns with a springy texture after you bite through the flesh. I didn't want to mess up my hands so I had to peel them using chopsticks and my teeth haha.

 
Next would be some sort of thickened fungi soup served again in a pot. The soup is pretty light and refreshing. I love my mushrooms and this pretty okay! Unfortunately, I was still trying to fix dad's phone at this point so I kinda missed out on some shots of the pot haha.

 

Main dish part one was cantonese style steamed grouper! Again, looking back at the second photo, you'll probably know how awesome this one is. Basically, just ask yourself how often you feel resistance in the fish you eat. This one felt like the fish had muscles! As the style of cooking dictates, this one's somewhat lighter so that we'll get to taste the natural flavour of the fish. Good stuff.
 
 

I was still dealing with the fish head when the main course came in. All hail the chilli crab! Crab in that sinfully rich sauce made from chili, ketchup (yes there's ketchup), eggs and stuff I can't remember off the top of my head. It's usually served with fried mantou for us to nap up the remaining sauces and boy those mantou were KRISPY!

 

The dish is super messy to eat so I took a break from taking photos to chow down for a bit. Apologies on this. Anyways, my favourite part of the crab out by the body and legs. Pincers get more meat but I just prefer the flavour from the body instead.

 
 
We deshelled, we chewed, we conquered. Then we headed to the washroom to rinse our messy fingers (not before doing the trademark finger lick/vacuum). Bro and his fiancé got mom a lychee martini cake from Pine Bakery at Ang Mo Kio. I kinda messed up the surprise by asking mom her age haha. Anyways, the restaurant staff were nice enough to do up the decorations and dry ice thing. Thanks!

 
 
 

 

I really like this shot. It's off focus, but I still like the action. I wonder what mom wished for :\

No comments:

Post a Comment