Monday, May 19, 2014

KKBC = ????


Nope, it does not stand for Ku Ku Bird Chop. KKBC stands for Koryo Korean Baked Chicken and it's awesome! In fact, I liked it so much that I paid a 2nd solo trip to the place again just to try out another piece, more on that later.

First thing I noticed is that these are baked, not fried. It's pretty uncommon for me, especially with the existing selection of Korean fried chicken labels (chicken up, nene chicken, 4 fingers, bla bla bla)

Headed down with my colleague and ordered a Seoul Box which consists of a drumstick, a thigh, bowl of rice, potato salad, pickled radish and a salad bowl.  If memory serves me right I paid about $15 bucks for this set. Pretty worth it if you ask me.


I'll start with the salad. It's simple, fresh and comes with a generous supply of that "asian" dressing. I really liked the dressing, it's different from most salads served in the restaurants where they come with the default ceasar's dressing. This one hinted of soy sauce and something that adds some acidity to your bites. It's also on the spicier side but not so much till you need to down a bottle of water.


Enough teasing with non-chicken stuff. Let's start with the chicken. I don't know what they did to the chicken, but the baking really did it's magic. When I first saw the words 'baked' I thought that the chicken would be closer to what you get with a roasted chicken - solid shiny skin. Koryo's chicken was so "crispy looking" (sorry I have no idea how to describe it) that I forget that it's not fried!


The skin is crispy, and the meat is juicy too! Check out the juice flowing inside! I'm not sure how to describe this, but I don't get the fatigue associated with eating too much oily stuff at one go when enjoying this. That said, it also comes with a slice of lemon that you can add to the chicken should you like to. I find that the acidity freshens up the tastes buds quite well, though it does soften the skin a little. Of course, why wouldn't it?


I was so pleased with the place that I came over a second time, this time alone just so that I could try the breast. It looked small but turned out to be very filling!


I actually found the chicken breast to be the most enjoyable as it proved to be the most "surprising" for me. I say this because most of the time, I'd avoid breast meat as they tend to be on the drier side, albeit healthier. Did I mention that cutting open the chicken breast cause some of the juice to flow out? I'm not exaggerating here!


If you want to experiment around with the chicken, each table as shakers filled with chili powder, salt and black pepper for you to play around with. While you can't go wrong with chili powder, I personally enjoyed adding a little salt to the pieces of meat. It actually makes your chicken a little sweeter! Try it!


Strangely, there has been reviews stating that they have been serving cold meat, hasn't been the case for me. Either that, or I've been too hungry on both occasions hahaha. That said, some mentions include a slightly different menu for both dinner and lunchtime, as well as the fact that the indoor spot is closed for lunch (when you need the air conditioning the most)


KKBC is located between china square and hong lim complex. It's right behind the bus stop so you'll hardly miss it. Look out for their huge signboards. Here's their address should you need.


No comments:

Post a Comment